Blood clot trapped in the lung is a condition termed as pulmonary embolism, which is simply referred to as PE. The blood clot that gets trapped within the lung results in the blockage of flow of blood. This can turn out to be very dangerous if the condition is not treated in the proper manner. There are many people who are completely unaware of the fact that they actually have pulmonary embolism until they face an emergency situation when then need to be hospitalized. It is only due to the fact that the condition is related to blood clotting that people feel that it is extremely dangerous and it is dangerous for sure.
What is the Survival Rate for People with Pulmonary Embolism?
Blood Clot In Lung Survival Rate can be excellent provided the condition is detected early and is treated quickly and appropriately. The overall survival rate of the patients suffering from blood clot in lung or pulmonary embolism is around 85%. This rate is the outcome of different studies conducted on this subject. Survival rate among people with blood clot in lung largely varies depending on the amount of medical intervention essential and the seriousness of the condition. Patients who need mechanical ventilation along with other important interventions have around 22% survival rate. On the other hand, the patients that need very little medical intervention and have the capability of undergoing the diagnostic procedures have 99% survival rates. Therefore, it becomes very important for patients to seek immediate medical attention once they experience the common symptoms of pulmonary embolism. This can help patients in increasing their chances of survival even if they suffer from blood clot in the lung. So, let us now have a look at some of the common symptoms that patients should know in order to increase their survival rate.
Common Symptoms of Pulmonary Embolism
Some of the most common symptoms of blood clot in lung are:
• Coughing up blood
• Feeling pain in the chest while breathing
• Shortness of breath without any reason
• Deeper breathing gets painful
These symptoms are generally continuous and unrelenting. They do not tend to go away on their own. The symptoms begin to appear slowly in some people while some might experience them all of a sudden. Pulmonary embolism is generally found to develop with a clot in the deep veins of the leg travelling to the lung and lodging itself there. This does not happen very often, but the condition shows other distinct symptoms and they are:
• Anxiety of dread
• Rapid breathing
• Passing out
• Rapid or irregular heartbeat
Proper diagnosis of the disease is also important in order to increase a patient’s chance of surviving with the problem. Proper diagnosis can help in chucking out the right solution to the condition or the perfect treatment that works for the patient. So, what does pulmonary embolism diagnosis include?
Tests that Need to be Carried Out
The doctor generally starts by doing a physical examination for listening to the lungs and the heart. The doctor also checks the hart rate, breathing rate and the blood pressure of the patient. The other tests that doctors recommend for the proper diagnosis of pulmonary embolism include:
• Ultrasound: Using sound waves for detecting echoes and creating images of the veins for showing the presence of blood clots in the legs.
• Lung ventilation scan: Patients inhale radioactive gas in small amount and this helps the doctors in seeing the procedure is which air flows to the lungs. Radioactive dye is also injected into the vein of the arm for seeing the flow of blood to the lungs.
• Computed tomography scans: Dye is injected in the vein of the arm for lighting up the blood vessels. This is done for CT scan. The doctors then make use of x-rays for seeing the vessels and determining whether the patient has pulmonary embolism. This is one of the most common tests for diagnosing pulmonary embolism. However, it cannot be done on individuals with kidney issues.
Thus, Blood Clot In Lung Survival Rate can always be increased in a patient if he or she undergoes this diagnostic procedure properly and gets the best treatment for the condition.